Monday 16 September 2013

Worldwide Beer Production and Consumption

Which countries produce the most beer? Which countries drink the most? Which nation is the drunkest? If you've ever wondered about these questions, this post is for you.

Beer is the world's third-most popular beverage, after water and tea.

I obtained most of my data from the Kirin Institute of Food and Lifestyle, which has been collecting and publishing beer production and consumption data since 1975. When I checked a Wikipedia article on beer consumption, Kirin was listed as the source, but the article on Wikipedia contains several errors, including one which moved Canada up 18 places in the worldwide per capita beer consumption rankings.

This ancient Egyptian model of a brewery is over 4,000 years old.
Chemical evidence reveals that beer existed at least 7,000 years ago in ancient Iran.

Let's look at beer production first. According to Kirin, the top ten beer producing countries in 2010 by total volume were:

  1. China (44,252,936 m³)
  2. USA (22,898,177 m³)
  3. Brazil (12,769,662 m³)
  4. Russia (10,240,000 m³)
  5. Germany (9,568,300 m³)
  6. Mexico (7,988,900 m³)
  7. Japan (5,850,450 m³)
  8. United Kingdom (4,499,700 m³)
  9. Poland (3,600,000 m³)
  10. Spain (3,337,500 m³)
Canada was 18th with 1,964,700 m³. One cubic metre is equal to 1,000 litres, which is about 2,933 bottles (341 mL bottles). In other words, Canada produced over 5.7 billion bottles worth of beer in 2010, about 8.6% of what the Americans produced and only about 4.4% of the amount of beer produced by the Chinese. I created a pie chart to visualize how much each of the top beer-producing countries contribute to the world's beer supply. As you can see, the top five beer-producing countries account for more than half of the world's beer.

Half of the top 25 beer-producing countries contribute only about 1% each to the world's total beer production.

Not surprisingly, it turns out that the countries producing the most beer tend to also be consuming the most beer. According to Kirin, the ten largest consumers of beer in 2010 were:
  1. China (44,683,000 m³)
  2. USA (24,138,000 m³)
  3. Brazil (12,170,000 m³)
  4. Russia (9,389,000 m³)
  5. Germany (8,787,000 m³)
  6. Mexico (6,419,000 m³)
  7. Japan (5,813,000 m³)
  8. United Kingdom (4,587,000 m³)
  9. Spain (3,251,000 m³)
  10. Poland (3,215,000 m³)

As you can see, all of the top ten beer-producing countries were also the top ten beer-consuming countries, the only difference being that Poland and Spain traded 9th and 10th places. Canada consumed 2,311,000 m³ of beer in 2010, which placed us at 14th in the world. Here's another pie chart, this time showing consumption.

More than half of the world's beer is being drunk in just five countries.

Overall, this chart is pretty similar to the previous one. Some interesting changes are that Netherlands and Belgium, the 14th and 20th biggest beer-producers, respectively, don't even crack the top 25 when it comes to beer consumption. Apparently the Dutch like to sell beer abroad much more than they like drinking the stuff. Similarly, Argentina, which didn't appear among the 25 biggest producers, is the 20th biggest consumer of beer worldwide. This gave me the idea of looking at relative national beer surplus or deficit, shown below:

Belgium produces more than twice the amount of beer that it consumes.

It looks like most countries we've looked at consume roughly the same amount of beer they produce. Seventeen of the 26 countries shown consume within 10% of what they produce. Netherlands and Belgium are interesting because they each consume only about half of the amount of beer that they produce, a much larger disparity than any of the other countries I have data for. The French had the largest relative beer deficit, consuming about 26% more beer than they produce. We Canadians also have an appreciable beer deficit, drinking 18% more beer than we produce. 

Now to answer the most important question of all: which country's beer consumption has their population most intoxicated? To answer this, we need to look at beer consumption per capita. China's total beer consumption might be about 19 times that of Canada's, but they've also got about 40 times more people to do the drinking. Based on the 2010 data from Kirin, the ten countries boasting the top beer-drinking peoples are:
  1. Czech Republic (131.7 L/person/year)
  2. Germany (106.8 L/person/year)
  3. Austria (105.8 L/person/year)
  4. Ireland (103.7 L/person/year)
  5. Estonia (90.6 L/person/year)
  6. Lithuania (85.7 L/person/year)
  7. Poland (83.6 L/person/year)
  8. Australia (83.4 L/person/year)
  9. Venezuela (83.0 L/person/year)
  10. Finland (82.7 L/person/year)
This chart shows the top 35 consumers of beer per capita:

Americans, and most Europeans, drink more beer than us.

You might be wondering what happened to China, the country drinking the biggest share of the world's beer. Because of their large population, they rank only 49th in terms of beer consumption per capita. Canada was only 23rd with 68.4 L/person/year (not 5th with 98.5 L/person/year as Wikipedia had first led me to believe). Czech Republic's 131.7 L/person/year is really quite impressive when you realize this works out to an average of a little more than a bottle of beer per day! In one year, the average Czech drinks 107 more Imperial pints of beer than the average Canadian. We can't even take pride in beating the Americans; they were 12th with 78.2 L/person/year. My guess is that Americans, having been brainwashed into believing that baseball is a noteworthy pastime and not wishing for others to see them as "un-American", have to drink a lot of beer in order to suffer through all the baseball games they watch. I mean, I'd drink more too if I thought I had to watch dozens of 3-hour games of baseball to prove my allegiance to my country.

Watching baseball's only slightly more entertaining than watching golf. 

Of course, not all beer has the same alcohol content. Americans like light beers with comparatively low alcohol content. Eastern Europeans generally tend to prefer stronger beers. So perhaps you're wondering if there are any stats on the actual quantity of alcohol consumed from beer-drinking? The answer is 'yes'. The World Health Organization's Global Health Observatory makes global data related to several health topics readily available to anyone. This includes the Global Information System on Alcohol and Health. They've been collecting their own per capita beer consumption data, but report it in terms of litres of pure alcohol per year, which is a better indicator of which countries are the most intoxicated from their beer-drinking. According to WHO, the ten countries most drunk on beer in 2010 were:
  1. Czech Republic (6.79 litres of pure alcohol per person per year)
  2. Austria (6.10 L/person/year)
  3. Germany (6.01 L/person/year)
  4. Lithuania (6.00 L/person/year)
  5. Poland (5.90 L/person/year)
  6. Ireland (5.73 L/person/year)
  7. Serbia (5.01 L/person/year)
  8. Spain (4.87 L/person/year)
  9. Estonia (4.68 L/person/year)
  10. Slovenia (4.59 L/person/year)
Here's yet another bar chart, this time plotted using the data from WHO.

On average, Czechs get more than 101 Calories/day from the alcohol in the beer they drink.

There are some apparent discrepancies between the Kirin and WHO data sets. For instance, Serbians aren't even in the top 35 beer-drinking peoples according to Kirin, but are 7th on WHO's list. Spain also shows up 8th on WHO's list but was only 22nd on Kirin's list. I doubt that the Spanish are drinking such strong beer that it would make up the difference. But for the most part, the two lists agree pretty well. The Czechs are still decisively ahead of everyone else, followed most closely by Austria and Germany. It appears that the American taste for light beer sends them down to 16th place with 4.28 L/person/year. Canadians on the other hand move up to 18th place with 4.20 L/person/year. 

To summarize:
  • China produces and consumes nearly one quarter of the world's beer
  • Canada isn't as big of a beer-drinking nation as some of us would like to believe
  • Don't challenge a Czech to a beer-drinking contest


15 comments:

  1. Excellent!! i like so much, but i need the references of the graphs. please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The graphs are my own work. The first four graphs are based on source data from "Kirin Institute of Food and Lifestyle Report Vol. 30: Global Beer Production by Country in 2010" (http://goo.gl/K3e6RT). The last graph is based on source data from the World Health Organization Global Health Observatory Data Repository, "Recorded alcohol per capita consumption, from 1990: Data by country" (http://goo.gl/Bpj3rW).

      Delete
    2. Correction: The first graph is based on Kirin's Food and Lifestyle Report Vol. 30.
      The second and fourth graphs are based on Kirin's Food and Lifestyle Report Vol. 33 (http://goo.gl/qe0Wwk). The third graph is based on data from both of the Kirin reports.

      Delete
    3. How I Got My Husband back... Am so excited to share my testimony of a real spell caster who brought my husband back to me. My husband and I have been married for about 6 years now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cared about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr. Wale can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and I did it and he did a spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr. Wale If you have any problem contact him and I guarantee you that he will help you. He will not disappoint you. you can WhatsApp him +1(978) 406-9575 or Email him at : everlastingspellcast@gmail.com or or view his website for more review https://everlastingspellcaster.website2.me/contact











































      How I Got My Husband back... Am so excited to share my testimony of a real spell caster who brought my husband back to me. My husband and I have been married for about 6 years now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone else. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cared about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr. Wale can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and I did it and he did a spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr. Wale If you have any problem contact him and I guarantee you that he will help you. He will not disappoint you. you can WhatsApp him +1(978) 406-9575 or Email him at : everlastingspellcast@gmail.com or or view his website for more review https://everlastingspellcaster.website2.me/contact

      Delete
  2. In reference to America's love of baseball...
    Canada televises curling...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. beer garden bench

    ReplyDelete
  4. PERFECT LOTTERY SPELL THAT WORK FAST WITHIN 24 HOURS WITH DR RAYPOWER LOTTERY SPELL POWERS
    I saw so many testimonies about Dr Raypower a great lottery spell caster that will help you cast a lottery spell and give you the rightful numbers to win the lottery, i didn't believe it, at first but as life got harder i decided to take a try,  I contacted him also and told him i want to win a lottery he cast a lottery spell for me which i use and i play and i won $3,000,000 (THREE MILLION DOLLARS). I am so grateful to this man Dr Raypower and I am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery, this is the real secret we all have been searching for. Do not waste time contact him today for you to also be a winner contact info below.

    Email: Urgentspellcast@gmail.com or Urgentspellcast@yahoo.com

    WhatsApp: +1 (424) 330-8109

    Website: https://urgentspellcast.wordpress.com/.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not think I would have ever stop wiping if not for Dr Osasu When my lover left me the hole world was like hell I could not cope with it neither can I breathe like i real human. But all the-same I thank God for using Dr Osasu to restore my lose love and making the rest of my life full of joy and happiness by bringing back my ex lover back to me with his powerful spell. All praise and honor be onto you. if not for you Dr Osasu I don't thing the rest of life would have been sweet, so all I will have to do now is to introduce you to people out there who are in similar problem or another to contact you and get there solution just like me.

    Here are his details
    (drosasu25@gmail.com) or call him : +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not think I would have ever stop wiping if not for Dr Osasu When my lover left me the hole world was like hell I could not cope with it neither can I breathe like i real human. But all the-same I thank God for using Dr Osasu to restore my lose love and making the rest of my life full of joy and happiness by bringing back my ex lover back to me with his powerful spell. All praise and honor be onto you. if not for you Dr Osasu I don't thing the rest of life would have been sweet, so all I will have to do now is to introduce you to people out there who are in similar problem or another to contact you and get there solution just like me.

    Here are his details
    (drosasu25@gmail.com) or call him : +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored. My ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. I was so happy to meet Dr. OKu how he helps many people to bring their Lover back so i contact him to help me too. husbandThat was how Dr. Oku helped me to bring my  back.. A big thank you to Dr. Oku because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. If you are here and you need your Ex Let you in over back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:Email him at: okutemple@gmail.com You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2348163425519

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited my broken Marriage has been restored. My ex husband is back after he left me and our 2kids for another woman. I was so happy to meet Dr. OKu how he helps many people to bring their Lover back so i contact him to help me too. husbandThat was how Dr. Oku helped me to bring my  back.. A big thank you to Dr. Oku because I never thought my ex Husband will be back to me so quickly with your spell. You are the best and world greatest. If you are here and you need your Ex Let you in over back or your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore, contact this powerful spell caster now. Here’s his contact:Email him at: okutemple@gmail.com You can also Call/WhatsApp:+2348163425519

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to thank you and let you know how much you have helped me.  I followed the the spell you did for me after a very bitter breakup of a two-year plus relationship (my first since my divorce from a 21-year marriage).  It started out being one of the most difficult things I have ever attempted in my life and after the initial two weeks I started feeling stronger each day and better about myself.  My ex husband sent me an apology email three weeks in ...By now, I had the strength to actually "sleep on it" and sent him a response the next day...within seconds he called me and asked to see me and was crying because he was glad I was talking to him.  We are starting out very slowly again as as will use to be with so much love again (which is difficult for me since I am still deeply  in love with him). is is a long distance relationship and your spell still worked!!  I am so happy to have him in my life again. If are the same problem and  you need his help to get you ex lover back with so much love you can reach Dr. Magbu on his email Reunitingexspell@gmail.com  WHATSAPP; +2348139424847 

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I Got My Ex Husband Back…Greetings to everyone reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my husband after 15years of marriage just because another woman He left me and the kids to suffer. one day when i was reading through some websites. I saw testimonies on how people thank Dr Omokpo for helping a lot of people get their broken marriages fixed back after divorced and breakup. He restored their marriage and relationship back as one. So i decided to contact this great man because i can't afford to loose my husband any more I love my husband so much I contact this man HE helped both men and women, boyfriend and girlfriend to get back their ex lovers and even fixed and restored their broken home back to happiness as one. I sent him a messageon: dromokpo@gmail.com  and I waited patiently for his reply.  It was about an hour or 2.When he replied to me He told me what to do that will help me bring my husband back to me and after 2 days as I share my testimonies with you my husband is back to me and my kids. I am glad to let you all know that this spell caster has the power to bring lovers back. because I am now in big happiness with my husband. Thanks to Dr.Omokpo. If you need any kind of solution to solve and win your health issues, broken relationships, or broken marriage problems. You can reach him on: dromokpo@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEST WAYS TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK AND RESTORED YOUR BROKEN MARRIAGE OR RELATIONSHIP FROM SORROW TO HAPPINESS.

    Help me thank Dr Omokpo for helping me get my ex husband back to me and my family. This great powerful spiritual man restored my sorrow to happiness. My husband left me some years ago for another woman and they both planned to get married. I am so surprised he just came back to me one cool afternoon on Saturday June, begging and crying for me to take him back and to forgive him for breaking up our marriage home and forsaking me and the children. Dr Omokpo is a true spiritualist savior . He brought my husband back”
    if you have any worries or you have any problem in your marriages or relationships you can reach him on: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. You can't win the lottery game without the help of voodoo and this is a fact most people has failed to accept, unfortunately i was one of them until i gave a try trust me if not for security reasons i would have made it public but nevertheless it is not too late to get in contact with Priest Aziba who gave me the spacial lucky numbers i used in playing just once and i won hug amount of money, i would advise you give a try, its not harmful neither is it a sin, its what Africans believe inn and it has also work for me here in the state. VOODOO SPELL LOTTERY NUMBER. Get in contact with Priest Aziba Via Email Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2348100368288 so you too can become a millionaire.




    You can't win the lottery game without the help of voodoo and this is a fact most people has failed to accept, unfortunately i was one of them until i gave a try trust me if not for security reasons i would have made it public but nevertheless it is not too late to get in contact with Priest Aziba who gave me the spacial lucky numbers i used in playing just once and i won hug amount of money, i would advise you give a try, its not harmful neither is it a sin, its what Africans believe inn and it has also work for me here in the state. VOODOO SPELL LOTTERY NUMBER. Get in contact with Priest Aziba Via Email Priestazibasolutioncenter@gmail.com or WhatsApp him on +2348100368288 so you too can become a millionaire.

    ReplyDelete